Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Easter Outfit #2

This dress is adorable but made me age about 10 years while doing it. I made so many silly mistakes on it which required so much seam ripping!! Argh! I have used 2 different dress patterns for Grace and was not sure which one I wanted to use this time.

Should I use the very easy pleated one?
or go with the more intricate gathered one with sleeves?
I decided to go with the second one since we are having some family pictures taken by a friend of mine and wanted the dresses to be extra cute.
This is a tough pattern though and I would not recommend it for new sewers. The sleeves took a really long time for me but I think they are my favorite part of the dress. The back looks really cute, too! I debated about using the green buttons but I did not have any white or pink buttons so the green won.
One problem I am having is getting my sewing machine to do a button hole where the bodice of the dress meets the skirt. I guess it is too much fabric because the button hole foot gets stuck and won't advance beyond that bump in the dress. Anyone else have this problem or solution to it? I solved it this time by turning the dress and having the button hole run horizontal instead of vertical. It will work but I am eager to figure out how to make the other way work.

Want to see Gabe's coordinating romper? I will have pics of Isabelle's dress soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment