Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Easter Outfit #1

Gabe's Easter outfit was fun to do because it is the first time I tackled plaid and really focused on all the lines matching up. I have been afraid of plaids before and usually choose fabric that does not require such detailed matching. I decided to do it now because I love the fabric from Chez Ami and it looks great with the other Chez Ami fabric that I am using for his sisters' Easter outfits. It was not as hard as I thought it was going to be. What I learned from this experience is that when you have to match a pattern, you cannot double the fabric over to cut pieces. You need to cut each piece out individually to make sure that the corresponding notches on different pattern pieces line up. Yes, it is a pain to do, but all that tedious work at the beginning really pays off with a nice outfit at the end.

I first made this pattern in Pittsburgh Steeler's fabric for a friend's son. You can see here how I did not match up the notches and how the pattern did not exactly match up horizontally. It did not really matter because the wording and helmets were on an angle anyway. Next time, though, I will be more aware of lining things up better. Oh, how much better we get with time and practice!

The overall pattern is incredibly simple. I still am not a huge fan of pockets but they are growing on me. It is just really hard to make sure they don't shift when you sew them. When they shift, you wind up sewing them crooked and that is really obvious with some fabrics.

I can't wait to see how cute Gabe looks in this romper with his sisters who will be in coordinating outfits. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment