Thursday, January 19, 2012

Hooting for Owls

This fun owl dress was inspired by a dress that I saw (as are most of the dresses that I make), but this one was a little different.  This dress was made in a different fabric and was on a mannequin at JoAnns and the design totally grabbed me when I walked by it.  I never really look at those mannequins in the store.  Normally, I am bee-lining my way to the fabric section before my kids have a meltdown because they are bored (or because they know they get away with a little more trouble in stores than they do at home).

Owl dress front
{Total mommy sidebar here where I must brag on my kids...  My kids are usually amazing in stores for which I am very thankful.  I try to set both them and me up for success by going at good times and making sure everyone has a full stomach.  We try and have fun out and about on errands.  Ok, shameless mommy moment is over.}

Back to the dress... what I liked about this McCalls M5838 pattern was how even with very simple fabrics, the dress (on the younger girl) is very fun and feminine with the gathered sleeves and gathered top.  I am not a big fan of the older girl's dress (sorry, older girl).
I made this dress for my daughter's friend Hannah.  I don't know how girlie she is so I did not want to go overboard on pink like I tend to do with Isabelle.  I used this cute owl flannel that I have had for a while.  I really like the gathered top, don't you?


The back has a zipper instead of buttons.  I just have to be honest and say that I am not good at doing zippers yet.  I can put them in but I am not good at sewing a straight stitch all the way around the zipper.  I lose my focus somewhere along the way around the zipper and I get a crooked line of thread which is of course on the yellow midriff section of this dress (with black thread).  Oh well.  I am going to try to use zippers more often to get better at them.  I will defeat you, zippers!!!!

Owl dress back
Comments on the pattern:
  1. I would rank this pattern as a medium skill-level.
  2. You need to follow the 5/8" seam allowance on the top, especially where the straps are inserted.  Be very consistent or you will have extra fabric on either side of the straps.
  3. When you sew the top to the top lining, you will sew the straps into the front of the top.  Since the straps are gathered, make sure you pinch the entire strap so that you do not catch the side of the strap into your stitching coming up the armpit or down the neck.  I did this  - ugh!!
  4. The steps describing attaching the midriff lining was VERY confusing.  I just skipped those steps and did it how it made sense to me.  
  5. The midriff lining wound up being too short to cover the gathering of the skirt.  Not sure how this happened.  Could it have to do with the comment #4 above?  Next time, I am going to cut these lining pieces wider than the pattern says to in order to make sure I can use them to cover over the raw gathered edges of the skirt.

Here is Hannah in her dress.  Isn't she precious?

No comments:

Post a Comment