Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Apron knotted dress

Last Christmas, I decided to let Isabelle pick out the fabric for her Christmas dress and I was determined to stick with what she chose.  She actually has a strong aesthetic sense and I want to encourage that as much as possible.  Well, one of the fabrics she picked out was this red and green swirly fabric that I really did not like so I tried to find a pattern that would let me highlight the fabric she chose with the candy canes and chocolate on it and de-emphasize the swirly one.
I decided on this Simplicity apron dress pattern.  It is a very simple pattern and I really recommend it to beginner sewers.
I appliqued this candy cane on the bodice.  I am not thrilled with how it came out but it helped tie everything together.  I really like the knotted straps because that helps the dress fit your child for more than one year.
 Even though I did not like the swirly fabric, I think the Christmas outfits came out really well.
A friend of mine from church sent me this picture of her precious daughter Chloe and asked me if I could make Chloe a vintage apron dress with knotted straps like the one she is wearing in this picture.
I told my friend that I would love to do that for her.  I knew I had the pattern to do it but it took me a little while to find the fabric.  Vintage clothes are not really my style so I was concerned about whether I would b able to piece together fabrics that would have a vintage flair.  I think I found the right fabric.  I hope she likes it!
There will be pants to go with it and I will post those when I have them.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment