Sunday, April 22, 2012

Strawberry picking


I saw this dress recently online while I was searching for strawberry appliqued dress ideas.

I instantly fell in love with it and vowed to make it for cheaper than $37!  I realize that the $37 is for materials and profit.  I made two of these dresses and the materials for both dresses cost $18.  This is my version... I only put one picture up because the girls' dresses are identical.
What do you think?  I think the girls look precious!!!
 A few thoughts on pillowcase dresses:
  • pillowcase dresses are EASY to make.  These are great dresses to sew for beginners.  There are a bunch of dress tutorials online - both videos and written ones.
  • pillowcase dresses start off very plain since you are using one fabric so try fun accents and embellishments such as: use a contrasting band of fabric on the bottom, rickrack along the hemline or neckline, use contrasting fabric for the bias binding on the armpits and neckline, applique a shape or your child's initial, find a fun contrasting or accent ribbon, etc.  The possibilities are endless!!
  • when you wash these dresses, make sure you tie the ribbons to each other or you risk the ribbons pulling out of the casings.

No comments:

Post a Comment