Saturday, November 13, 2010

Thanksgiving dress!!

I am so excited about this Thanksgiving dress for Isabelle!!!


The first thing that I absolutely LOVE is the sleeves. They remind me of something on a maiden's dress in mid-evil times. Does that make any sense? I thought that making the puffy sleeves and adding the elastic under them would be hard but neither of them were!! You just have to work on your gathering skills a little bit and then all you do is match up the notches (hooray for the notches!!) and sew. Here they are close-up:

The second thing I love is the contrasting fabric on the trunk and waist! What is awesome is that I already had all of this fabric and the only thing I bought was the zipper. So this dress only cost me $2.75!

When I finished the dress, it did not have anything on the skirt and it looked a little plain. I though about adding a band of the contrast fabric around the hem but I did not have enough fabric for that. So, I decided to applique' the circles on it. While doing the applique', I had the vision of bouncy balls bouncing around and landing on the dress. I think it came out really cute!! I thought about appliqueing the circles all the way around the bottom of the dress but I got too excited about finishing the dress so I just put them on the front.

Want to see some more applique'? Here is my niece's initial on a corduroy dress/top. The possibilities are endless!!

2 comments:

  1. I love this dress too!!! I hope Mark and I have a little girl one day so you can sew a dress for us. Either that or I can go loopy and start carrying a baby doll around and get you to make a dress for her :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Shelly! I would love to! I can also make matching overalls for the boys one day~

    ReplyDelete