Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Fall-meets-retro for matching cousin outfits

Ok, who isn't excited about the cooler fall weather and sewing with corduroy? Well, when I started thinking about sewing some fall outfits for the kids and their cousins, I wasn't too excited because corduroy colors always seemed so bland and boring to me. Not anymore! I found some really fun corduroy at JoAnn's and had a blast making coordinating tops for Isabelle and her cousin Virginia Grace. The fabric would normally be a little too retro for my taste but I think it works great for a fun fall look. This pattern is pretty easy and has a bunch of variations.

I made Virginia Grace's top before I got a bunch of the polka dotted fabric so there is not a lot of contrasting going on with her dress. I tried to make it a little snazzier by appliqueing her initial on it and adding the ribbon at the trunk seam. I hope she likes it!! Hopefully, I will get pics of her in it to post.
With Isabelle's top, I went a little wild and did more contrasting fabrics. I have gotten into appliqueing and simple monogramming recently and had hoped to monogram or applique' an "I" on Isabelle's top, but I think there is too much going on with the fabric and pattern to do that. What do you think?

Normally, fake pockets drive me crazy but I did not want to spend the time on sewing on real pockets when I know Isabelle will never use them.

Here are some great pictures of Isabelle and Virginia Grace in matching pillowcase dresses and also in coordinating tops in nautical fabric.

No comments:

Post a Comment